Wednesday, May 4, 2011

You have to pay to live in paradise


From yesterday's KHON2 news: Hawaii has most expensive rental housing in nation

If you want to live in paradise, you're going to have to pay big bucks - Hawai'i topped the list of most expensive rental housing in the nation for the third year in a row now. According to a study just released by the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the following are the average residential rent prices in Hawai'i:
  • One bedroom: $1339
  • Two bedroom: $1616
  • Three bedroom: $2308
Another notable statistic from the article:
  • Average wage for a renter: $13.65/hr (just over $28,000 per year)
Minimum a family should earn to live comfortably (not sure what "comfortably" means, but this is what the article/study said):
  • One bedroom: $53,551
  • Two bedroom: $64,651
  • Three bedroom: $92,302
And I thought living in LA was expensive... You'll definitely have to pay a hefty price to live in Hawai'i. And it's not just housing prices you have to consider - other things to keep in mind are the higher price of groceries, cost of sending your kids to private school, lower pay on the islands (vs. mainland), etc.

Is it worth it?

I personally think so. It's hard to explain why to people who haven't grown up or lived in the islands... Yes, the weather, the scenery/nature/beaches, the food, the people, the culture... but it's also just... home. =)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I thought my rent was expensive. But I 100% agree, although I am not from Hawaii, I love the whole ambience and vibe when I am there. I would love to live in Hawaii for a couple of years because the food is amazing, the people are amazing and who can resist the beach.

    I am actually going to be in Oahu (mostly Waikiki) for a couple of weeks this summer. Do you have any suggestions on where to eat? Cool places to visit? I feel like I've seen most of the tourist-y stuff and I would love to experience something new.

    ReplyDelete