Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Missing greenery...

A lot of times I think that living in LA is probably the closest you can get to Hawai'i - the weather is generally warm and sunny, the people and culture are relatively laid-back, and there are a number of local food places. But when it comes to environment, I think that LA and Hawai'i are pretty much worlds apart - Hawai'i is so green and full of nature... and LA is anything but. I think this is one of the reasons people from places like Hawai'i, Seattle, and Oregon get homesick easily living in the heart of downtown LA. Waking up to brick and steel buildings, instead of green mountains and the blue ocean, takes a while to get used to - and some never get used to it. What also makes it hard is that LA rarely has blue skies - instead, it has a layer of smog...

To some, scenery/environment may be a minor detail when considering where to live... But for others, it plays a pretty significant role in their decision, whether it's because scenery has a significant impact on their general mood, affects their health, or something else. 

Just another thing to keep in mind maybe...

Picture of Oahu (from my camera)
Picture of LA (pulled from the internet)

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean. I live in horse country in NJ where there are farms everywhere and I spend the summers on cattle ranch in MT. There's nothing like MT where you can look all around on a mountain and not see a building in sight, hop back on your horse, and keep riding. Cities are pretty depressing...It's as if the city planners killed nature and replaced it with what they thought it should be. I could never live in a city all the time without getting out into the country. It almost seems to go against human nature. People that disagree just haven't stood on a hill and looked out on a land untouched by man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can totally see your point. The air quality in LA is horrible. I’ve never been to Hawaii but bet everything out here pales in comparison in terms of environment. Hawaii seems fresh, clean, and cool! I would love to visit Hawaii and see the active volcanoes, the mountains, surf, and get to know the culture. Seeing that you’re native, what island should I visit and what are some interesting places to go?

    ReplyDelete