Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Merrie Monarch Festival

Source: Merrie Monarch website
 
The annual Merrie Monarch Festival is going on this week (April 24th-30th) in Hilo, Hawai'i!

Hula is such a unique and special part of Hawai'i's culture. I danced hula for one year when I was about 5 years old, and I only now that I am older do I wish I had continued...

In a previous post, I talked a little bit about hula and its meaning. To be honest, I do not know much about the culture of hula, but even I know of the Merrie Monarch Festival as the largest, most prestigious hula competition.

From the official Merrie Monarch website:

The Merrie Monarch Festival is a non-profit organization that honors the legacy left by King David Kalākaua, who inspired the perpetuation of our traditions, native language and the arts.

Our week-long festival features an internationally acclaimed hula competition, a crafts fair, an art show, hula shows, and a grand parade through Hilo town.

Source: Merrie Monarch website

Source: Merrie Monarch website

No comments:

Post a Comment