Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wind farm plans for Molokai and Lanai

Another very interesting article in today's Honolulu Star Bulletin:

Pattern Energy and Castle & Cooke partner for Molokai wind farm

Image source: Star-Advertiser
After reading about the planned wind farms for the islands of Molokai and Lanai, my first thought was, "What are the Molokai and Lanai residents saying about this?" because there was no mention of their response in the article. This same question was brought up and answered by a few people in the comments:
  • misskanalani 4 hours ago
    What was the Molokai community's response? Is the opposition to Pattern Energy's proposal greater or less than it was to First Wind's? Why isn't the community's stand on this mentioned in this story?
  • The majority of the people surveyed on Molokai, same as those on Lana'i, are against the Windmills.
  • I am from Molokai, here's my response (Our community is made of many different people - each with his own opinion. Anyone who says they speak for Molokai Community is lying. We do not have an "island leader" who speaks on our behalf.)

    I am for the wind mills because we can not afford to continue to say no to everything that comes along. We have no jobs and no future on Molokai. Wind mills won't employ lots of people, but when viewed as one step in the over all process that creates an economic engine and stimulants, these wind mills can be the last straw that opens up our community to healthy futures.

    I hear my neighbors say "no power for Oahu" but they take food stamps and the money for that comes from Honolulu and Maui. My neighbor says "not in my backyard" but folks in Oahu and Maui already have wind mills on their moku, in their back yards. My neighbor says that wind mills are noisy and prevent hunting. But we live 20 miles away from these wind mills and will never see or hear them unless we trespass on to private property. I hear my neighbor complain about electric rates but never take any action like this to lower the cost. I hear my neighbor worry about the environment but they prefer to burn oil instead of green energy like this. We have choke space to go hunt where we don't need to trespass. These wind mills will not bother me and many others like me.

    Time for my neighbor to understand that none of them are king or queen or governor or president. OK to speak your voice but not ok to insult me or threaten to block the progress just because they don't want it. That way is not pono.

    probably will be more easier to see wind mills on Lanai from my house in Kaunakakai than on west end of Molokai.

I think that these wind farms would be good for the islands, and I agree with a lot of what molokai says in his/her response. The island of Molokai been suffering ever since the closure of Molokai Ranch, which employed many of the island's residents - Molokai has the highest unemployment rate of all the islands, at 12.6% (February 2011), according to the state Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. As of February 2011, Honolulu's unemployment rate was 5.2%, and the state average was 6.3%. Molokai is in desperate need of an economic stimulant or anything that will help the island grow and advance.

I do understand the concern with wind farms ruining the natural beauty of the islands. However, I personally think that wind farms are an awe-inspiring sight. And like molokai says, the wind farm will be miles away from residents, so hopefully it will not interfere with the residents' daily lives.

This is a step in the right direction - toward clean energy, which is important for a state that must pay particular attention to protecting its environment. It is impossible to find the perfect solution that will please everyone. Some groups will not be happy about this project, but I think it is a worthy sacrifice, as the wind farms are for the betterment of the state as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment