Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Electric Cars


Today was the USC Environment Fair 2011. One of the companies represented was Enterprise Rent-A-Car, who brought the Chevy Volt - one of the newest electric cars in the US.

Coincidentally, after I left the Environment Fair, I saw this article on the Honolulu Star Advertiser website:

Source: Honolulu Star Advertiser
The article discusses the introduction of Nissan Leafs to Enterprise's Hawai'i fleet, as well as a "charge-spot" project planned for Oahu.

It's exciting to hear about these new electric cars, especially at a time when gas prices are through the roof and awareness about the negative effects of fossil fuels is spreading.

Of course, integration of electric cars will take a while, as new infrastructure (for example, the charging stations) is built, consumers are educated, and companies sort out new problems/issues.

But I am eagerly awaiting the new era of electric vehicles - something I think would be perfect for Hawai'i for several reasons, including the following:
  • Oahu is an island - people typically don't drive very far (compared to driving on the mainland), so one charge would probably be enough for one round trip (to and from work/school)
  • Hawai'i is a paradise - and people must keep it this way by taking care of the environment. A significant contributor to destruction of the environment is fossil fuel, so it is important that Hawai'i find alternatives to fossil fuel usage
  • Gas prices in Hawai'i are the most expensive in the country - Hawai'i residents must find gas-alternatives for financial reasons, too

I am interested to see how these new electric cars perform, and I look forward to the development of more and better electric vehicles in the near future!

    1 comment:

    1. I've been to Hawaii 3 times in my life now and I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say it is one of the greatest places in the world. Hawaii's oceans, waterfalls, and other natural elements are pretty remarkable so I find it exciting that the state is taking measures to protect this beauty. Also, seeing how Oahu is rather small and it doesn't take to long to get anywhere, I think it's a great idea to experiment with these "charge-spot" because they'll never be to far away. This creates an ease of access so, I believe, people will be more comfortable with experimenting with it. I do have some possible concerns though such as how long would the car take to charge and since I doubt there's going to be a lot of these at first, how crowded will these "charge spots" be?

      ReplyDelete